Friday, November 4, 2011

Proverbs 4; Guard your heart by guarding your tongue

Scripture:  Proverbs 4:23-24    Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.


Observation:  I found it interesting that immediately following the admonition to "guard your heart" is the admonition to "put away perversity from your mouth" and "keep corrupt talk far from your lips". I have always told my kids that what is in their heart will eventually come out of their mouths. 


Application:  I have never had a crude mouth but I do believe I can be quite critical of others and may share things that have been told to me in trust.  I not only think this affects my own heart but that of others.  I hurt other's hearts when I criticize them or betray their trust in me.  I also am showing the ugliness in my own heart.  I need to be very careful of what comes out of my mouth!


Prayer:  Dear Lord,


Thank you for forgiving me when I say things before I think them through first.  I pray that you will give me discretion when others put their trust in me.  May I be worthy of their trust.  I also pray you would help me to be kind and encouraging with my words to others.  I want to guard my heart and the hearts of others that I influence. 


Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment