Sunday, November 13, 2011

Proverbs 13 Discipline is love

Scripture:  Proverbs 13:24  He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.


Observation:  Disciplining children is tough.  It's a never ending process that can be exhausting but if we are careful to discipline, we teach our children essential life skills that last a lifetime.  The kids I have been around that have lacked parental correction seem to be insecure and needy for attention. They lack self control and are not self motivated.  I'm finally understanding how giving our kids discipline is showing them love.  It teaches them all those skills they need to be a successful adult and loving parent.


Application:  With my husband's job taking him away from home, it leaves me to do a lot of single parenting.  I grow weary in the constant correcting. I need to keep my eye on the prize.  God has given me an important assignment and I need to carry it out to the best of my ability!  I only have so much time with these beautiful children that He has gifted me with and I want to be faithful to do His will. I not only want to hear "Well done, my good and faithful servant" but I want each of my children to hear that as well as they reach the end of their own journeys someday.  How well I do at this job not only affects my children but my grandchildren and their children and so on!


Prayer:  Dear Lord,


Thank you for the gift of each of my children! Thank you for entrusting them to me to train and prepare them for being an adult and parent one day themselves.  Please forgive me for getting weary and not following through on things the way I should at times.  Help me to "Train them up in the way they should go so that when they are old they will not depart from it".  I want my children to be a blessing to You all they days of their lives as well as their children and their children and their children....  


Amen

2 comments: