Thursday, November 10, 2011

Proverbs 10 Hold your tongue!

Scripture:  Proverbs 10:19  When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.


Observation:  Sometimes it is wise to hold your tongue. The more you talk, the more chance you run of saying the wrong thing.  I want to make sure that I think before I speak. I don't always have to say out loud the thoughts that are running through my head... they aren't always pleasant and could be hurtful. Today I had a long, drawn out argument with my 13 year old daughter over the name of a particular McDonald's cheeseburger.  Like it mattered.  What does matter is that I hurt her feelings when I should have dropped the subject in the first place.  I wish I had held my tongue.


Application:  I want to "take every thought captive" but when that doesn't happen, I want to make sure I don't hurt someone with my words.  I would like to listen more and speak less.  I need to decide when something actually needs to be said and when I need to keep my tongue.


Prayer:  Dear Lord,


I know my tongue can really get me in trouble.  This past week I can think of a few times when I needed to just close my mouth and walk away and I didn't.  Please forgive me for hurting others at times when I don't think before I speak.  Please grant me wisdom to know when the matter is important enough to be said, and when that person is more important than the matter.  I want to please you with my words and to speak in love.  Thank you for loving me!


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment