Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Luke 2 Treasure Up

Scripture:  Luke 2:19  But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.


Observation:  As I read through this part of the chapter, I was thinking how chaotic it probably was around Mary.  I mean there was this newborn baby she was caring for and shepherds all around her and I just picture her quietly standing back and gazing at the scene in front of her. It seems like she was trying to live in the moment.  She was trying to remember every detail and work through all these wondrous events that had taken place in her life. She didn't want to forget a thing and was probably still amazed at the responsibilities that God had trusted her with.


Application:  I really need to do a better job of living in the moment.  I need to stop continually working to get through the next thing.  I don't want to forget this time in my life with my children.  I read this today on Facebook quoted from A Holy Experience


But the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this.
I did not live in the moment enough.
This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night.
I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed.

I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.”

~Anna Quindlen


Oh how I want to change this about myself.  I want to treasure the doing!!


Prayer:  Oh my Dear Lord,  Thank you so much for speaking to me today.  Thank you for making sure that I heard what you wanted me to know before it was too late.  There are many moments that I've already forgotten or wasn't paying attention enough to ever remember in the first place.  I can't get any of that time back but I can make changes from now on.  Help me to live in the moment.  Help me to look in my children's eyes when they speak to me, to really listen and internalize their words.  Help me to show them they really matter in that moment and take the memories of those moments with me.  May I do this each moment of my day.  I really want to listen.. to You, to my husband, my children, my friends and those that really need to know they matter.  Help me to treasure the doing and not just the getting done.  May I show your love to each person that needs to feel it.  Please forgive me for getting caught up with all the "doing".  


Amen

1 comment:

  1. I love this post - it really speaks to me! I always feel like I'm just always trying to get caught up: I'm behind in laundry, dinner should've been cooked, the clothes should've been put away, and so on.. I'm never enjoying the now. But it seems like Mary took the time to quietly watch and reflect. Thanks for sharing! God bless!

    ReplyDelete